Frequently Asked Questions
- Who is Surfacequest?
Surfacequest is the largest provider of Architectural Fusions in North America. We were one of the first companies in North America to offer architectural film and we’ve been in business for over 15 years. In that time, we’ve built a level of product and installation expertise unrivaled in the business. But we don’t just sell Architectural Fusions – we provide design expertise, surface solutions, project support, and installation services from Certified Surfacequest Installers. We work with you and your team through the entire project from inception to completion.
- What does the typical Surfacequest client look like?
Surfacequest provides surface solutions to clients in a variety of commercial industries including corporate office, hospitality, entertainment, retail, banking, healthcare, education, government, and multi-family. We work with companies and individuals throughout North America who are involved in the design, construction, and renovation of commercial spaces including interior designers, architects, developers, general contractors, owners, managers, and end users directly.
- What are Architectural Fusions?
Architectural Fusions are micro-thin architectural overlays with pressure-sensitive adhesive backing. Fusions are sometimes referred to as architectural film, interior film, architectural finishes, or surface coverings. They can be applied to any non-porous surface in commercial renovation or new construction and come in more than 1,200 printed and embossed patterns that emulate natural materials such as wood, stone, metal, and leather. Surfacequest offers the widest selection of Architectural Fusions available in North America and has three different product lines to choose from including LG, Belbien, and Reatec. You can browse all of the available product lines and patterns in the Architectural Fusion Pattern Library.
- What can Architectural Fusions do?
Architectural Fusions represent an entirely new opportunity for commercial architects and interior designers to achieve unprecedented design flexibility, high-quality visual appeal and ease of installation and maintenance, even when working with tight budgets. Architectural Fusions provide an unmatched combination of affordability, durability and flexibility. Some of the design and aesthetic benefits include:
- Fusions come in more than 1,200 stunning patterns including woods, stones, metals, metallics, solid colors, decorative finishes, and more. Browse all of the available patterns in the Architectural Fusion Pattern Library.
- Fusions offer unprecedented flexibility to achieve your design vision within your budget.
- Fusions provide an astounding aesthetic alternative to costly natural materials like exotic hardwoods and granite.
- Fusions can be printed with customized graphics or custom brand colors prior to installation.
- Fusions can be applied to curved objects such as columns – including concave and convex shapes – as well as 90-degree corners and three-dimensional surfaces.
- What are the ideal applications for Architectural Fusions?
Architectural Fusions are ideal for commercial spaces where frequent design changes, tight timelines, and efficient budgets are necessary to present a fresh look without the inconvenience of lengthy and messy construction. Ideal applications across all industries include doors, walls, columns, millwork, elevators, ceilings, and other vertical services. To see applications specific to your industry, check out the Surfacequest Project Portfolio.
- What surfaces or substrates can Architectural Fusions be applied to?
Architectural Fusions can be installed on virtually any smooth, non-porous surface. The most common surfaces are plastic laminate, high-pressure laminate, metal, melamine, polished stone, glass, and sealed wood. Fusions can also be applied to smooth porous surfaces that have been properly prepped to provide a Fusion-ready substrate. Although Fusions cannot be directly installed on rough surfaces like brick or concrete, Surfacequest has several solutions for covering these areas as well.
- Can Architectural Fusions be used in exterior applications?
Yes, there are several Architectural Fusion patterns designed specifically for exterior applications. Exterior patterns feature an anti-corrosive film layer that makes them resistant to direct UV sunlight, rain, snow, ice, smog and other elements. You can browse all of the exterior patterns we have available in the Architectural Fusion Pattern Library.
- How do Architectural Fusions promote sustainability?
- Architectural Fusions are both economical and environmentally preferable, eliminating the need to manufacture new products and minimizing the carbon footprint associated with new material extraction, manufacturing and distribution.
- Non-renewable finishes, including exotic hardwoods and stones, can have a negative impact on the environment. Fusions impart the look and feel of these materials, at a fraction of the cost and without the ecological consequences.
- Architectural Fusions exemplify an emerging trend that promotes sustainability and eliminates the wasteful and expensive “demo and replace” cycle commonly seen in commercial renovations.
- Architectural Fusions transform existing structures and surfaces, essentially “recycling” existing materials and creating spectacular new looks, with nothing being cut down or discarded.
- Just one square-foot of Architectural Fusions diverts approximately eight pounds of construction waste from entering the landfill.
- How are Architectural Fusions made?
Architectural Fusions are precision manufactured and produced through a proprietary calendaring process. Then, they’re printed with high-definition, state-of-the-art presses and backed with super-strong adhesive.
- Are Architectural Fusions durable?
Architectural Fusions assume the durability of substrate they are applied to, meaning that any solid, non-porous material can provide suitable backing for long-lasting installation.
- What are the dimensions of Architectural Fusions?
Fusions come on a roll that measures 4’ x 164’ (50 meters). This means Fusions can be used on projects such as columns, counters, facades, and walls panels without any seams or with minimal seams being required.
- What is the weight of Architectural Fusions?
Architectural Fusions are lighter than nearly all of the other surfacing options on the market today. They weigh less than 8 ounces per linear yard (12 square feet). Fusions weigh less than even the lightest Type 1 commercial wall covering. Because of its light weight, Fusions are the perfect solution for projects where weight is a major consideration such as elevator cabs.
- What is the thickness of Architectural Fusions?
Architectural Fusions are .006 inches thick (6 mils.) excluding the release paper and adhesive-backing system. They can be used in applications where weight and clearance from moving parts limits other surfacing options.
- Are Architectural Fusions fire-rated?
Architectural Fusions are Class “A” fire-rated and are specifically approved for fire doors, elevator doors and similar assemblies.
- Are there odors or VOCs?
There is no odor from Architectural Fusions or the adhesive backing on the material. The only odors that may be present during installation come from the cleaning solution (denatured alcohol) that is used to clean the existing substrate prior to installation. If needed, additional odors might be present if secondary adhesive is needed to ensure a secure bond along edges, or if fillers are needed to repair a damaged substrate or prep a substrate. Architectural Fusions have an extremely low VOC rating and there is no off-gassing from the material itself. Surfacequest will always take extra precautions with installation in certain environments such as healthcare facilities. When necessary, installation can take place at night to ensure the environment is totally free from odors and VOCs during working hours.
- Do you offer a warranty?
Architectural Fusions are manufactured to the highest level of quality and carry a 5-year product and installation warranty when installed by Certified Surfacequest Installers.
- How much do Architectural Fusions cost?
Architectural Fusions are designed to deliver on your vision at a fraction of the cost of traditional materials. Fusions also allow you to reuse existing surfaces and substrates rather than ripping them out and replacing them with new materials. Using Architectural Fusions also saves money on construction costs by greatly reducing construction timelines. Fusions allow you to get the look you want at a price you can afford. Specific pricing depends on the project scope, applications, and pattern selections. Our pricing includes the material as well as the installation. To get a detailed quote for your next project, schedule a free project consultation with one of our national account executives.
- Can I buy the material and install it myself?
Surfacequest only sells Architectural Fusions to its authorized dealers and original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), allowing the company to maintain a consistent level of quality and support for its products and installations.